MONTESSORI METHODOLOGY & PEDAGOGY
- Mixed age classroom, with classroom for children ages 3 to 6 years old.
- Student choice of activity from within a prescribed range of options.
- Well prepared environment and specialized educational material developed by Montessori and her collaborators.
- Freedom of movement within classroom.
- Trained Montessori teachers.
BENEFITS OF MONTESSORI
- Each child is valued as a unique individual.
- Beginning at an early age, Montessori’s students develop order, coordination, concentration, and independence.
- Students are part of a close, caring community.
- Students are supported in becoming active seekers of knowledge.
AREAS OF LEARNING
- Practical Life
There are no grades or other forms of reward or punishment. Assessment is by portfolio and the teacher’s observation and record keeping. The test and the system lie in the accomplishment and behavior of the children, their happiness, maturity, kindness, and love of learning and level of work.Given the freedom and support question to probe deeply, and to make connections, Montessori students become confident, enthusiastic, self – directed learners. They are able to think critically, work collaboratively, and act boldly – a skill set for the 21st century.
- Age 3 to 5 years old.
- Interview with parents.